Hello, potatoes! Happy midsummer, and happy Plastic Free July!!!
What, you may ask, is Plastic Free July?! It’s just what it sounds like! It’s a challenge to replace the disposable plastic you use with reusables for the month of July — and we’re asking you (YOU!!!!) to participate!
It’s very simple! First, make an inventory of disposable plastic you use — things like shopping bags, straws, cutlery, and wrappers, for example. Then figure out how you can replace them! Here are some ideas:
- Shopping bags — take tote bags or paper shopping bags with you (and if you already have plastic shopping bags, you can reuse them as trash bags)
- Produce bags — reuse the plastic ones from the store or bring your own
- Straws and cutlery — take reusable ones with you (in your eco bag hehe)
- Water bottles — make sure to bring your own water bottle so you don’t have to buy one
- Wrappers — make your own snacks as much as possible!
- Plastic bottles and containers — buy in bulk and reuse containers, and if you can, turn in the bottles and get refills (BYOC co. sells refills of things like soap!)
- Takeout containers — bring reusable containers with you to restaurants
- Trash bags — wrap up trash in newspaper, or put it in a sealed container you wash out each day! If you’re required to bag your trash, use any disposable bags you already have
- Also check out this zero-waste city guide!
So what do you say? Do you accept the challenge?!
We wish you a potatoey and plastic-free month!!!